Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tour of the Valley - 3 day stage race - July 2012 (1st place in GC, 3 podiums in 3 days)

Tour of the Valley - 3 day stage race - July 2012

After 8 years as a triathlete and marathon runner, 2012 was my first season where I did "cycling only" races.  I have always been a strong cyclist in triathlon (often posting one of the top bike splits in the race), but my previous coaching wouldn't "let" me do bike races because of the risk of crash sidelining my efforts toward my goal races (an Ironman race or Nationals).  It was frustrating at times, because I knew I was a strong cyclist and studied strategy from watching years of cycling on TV. 

I was really excited to get to "stretch my legs" in bike racing and see what I could do.

Before the 3 day Tour Of the Valley (TOV) race, I figured I had better get a little 'real' experience beforehand, and raced in a couple of the Westlake Tuesday night Crits.   The first race, I was the lead out for a teammate, won 2 of 3 "preem" laps and placed surprisingly high (5th) for my first time...  the next week, I WON the race!  I was getting the feel for the flow of a crit, working within the pack, how to communicate and plan with teammates on the move, etc.

With an Ironman race later in the season, I was training through the TOV race.  The week leading up to the race, I was still training hard...  with a 100 mile hard ride just 5 days before TOV started.  I would feel that later!!

I guess it was time for the TOV... (ready or not).

The Tour Of the Valley is a 3 day stage race is composed of:
Friday afternoon = Time Trial  ("the race of truth" = you against the clock, fastest time wins)
Saturday morning = Road Race (big group, long course, first to the line wins - lots of strategy)
Sunday morning = Criterion (Crit = also a big group, but a short course 1-2 miles, lots of laps, lots of turns, fast,fast,fast - and lots of strategy as well)
In addition to the three individual races, there is the "General Classification" - the overall leader of the multiple stages based on points for placement in each event.

Friday night's Time Trial "should have been my best event" - as a time trial expert from triathlon.  I underestimated the "mindset" change required for me to put it all out there and not hold anything back for the run.  The course only took about 20 minutes, and I am trained for races that are 1 - 6 hours... and hadn't specifically prepared for the shorter, higher intensity effort.  Plus, I had a LOT of miles in my legs, which were feeling tired. 

I can laugh at myself a little bit... I have never practiced a formal Time Trial start (where you are on an elevated start house with an official holding your bike upright before the start.   I was a little worried about going right off the ramp and crashing on the side of the road... and as I was thinking about that, a rider a few in front of me actually did this!  Came right off the side of the ramp and crashed into the ditch in front of lots and lots of people, and that one mistake cost the entire weekend of racing.  That really got in my head before the start...  I was afraid to lock both feet into my pedals before the start because I wasn't confident in the official holding my bike (for no reason, except that I hadn't done it before)... then as they counted down to my start, I realized that the guy was going to let go of my bike and I would just fall over if I wasn't clipped in...  then I panicked - loudly yelling "I'm not ready yet... I'm not ready yet!!"...  Fumbled around for 5-10 seconds before getting my feet clipped in, and thankful that the official didn't just let me go at "0" like usual... 

Once I got started, I was embarrassed and quickly that changed to a laugh at myself, and then focus on pushing hard in order to have the best race I could.  In the race, they start the cyclsits every 30 seconds... so I knew if I caught someone, I was making great time.  In the first few miles I picked off a couple of guys that started before me.  I had two teammates further up the road, and set my goal at trying to chase them down.  Just before the 1/2 way point, I caught and passed one teammate and saw the other one.  I was having a good race.


I was able to push myself rather hard throughout the race without blowing up.  I passed a few more people before the finish line where I gave it my everything.   I took 3rd place for the night and had my first official USAC sanctioned race under my belt.  I was honestly disappointed about not being 1st overall...  but I realize in hidsight that I trained right through this race for the Ironman, had dead legs, and never practiced the shorter time-trial efforts needed for this particular event.  2013, I will have a different goal on Day 1!!   I did manage to turn in the fastest time on our racing team by a pretty good margin...

The TT was held at a nice winery, and the awards / podium event were there.  They had a great outdoor restaurant and we had an awesome time afterwards... one of us had too much of a good time...  (more on that later)

DAY 2:  Road Race
We woke up early to do a review of the course.  It was important to see the 6 "high roller" hills/climbs that were on course, as well as closely inspect the last few miles of the race leading in to the finish - to get landmarks and know exactly how far from the finish we were at certain points.  That's really important to knowing when to go, or when to hold back - so you don't play all your cards before the finish.   Since I was on the podium in stage 1, I was also in contention for the GC (overall for the 3 days).  So a strong finish at the Road Race for me would help solidify that.  On race morning, we decided the team would work for two of us, Zac (a good climber and roadie) and myself (unproven roadie, but in 3rd in GC going into the day).

The race started off with a very uncomfortable pack.  No one wanted to take the lead and work, and it seemed we kept slowing down and bunching up at the bottom of the downhills...  Frustrating first few miles. Then we got some open road and brought up the pace. When we got to the first decent climb, I didn't know what to expect from the peleton. I was prepared to go with a break / attack if there was one, and stayed close to my teammates. I had never been in a road race with hills before and didn't know what to expect.

By the 2nd of 6 significant climbs, it was clear there were about a dozen stronger riders that wanted to break up the pack, including the "yellow jersey". Zac, Eric and I decided to go with that move and picked up the pace. The next two climbs people started attacking on the climbs and we went with the attacks. On the downhill after the 4th climb, I let my momentum carry myself out front of the rest of the group, and was alone in front.  No one chased me down, and I didn't want to do all of the work myself now, and be toast later... I knew better...  so I took the next climb conservatively, yet the pack didn't catch back up to me.  What were they up to?   I didn't want to remain out front in the wind by myself, but from review of the course, knew there was a set of railroad tracks up ahead, and in the light rain/mist, woudl be very slippery to cross.  I've seen enough crashes at crossings to know I wanted to be in front and away from people if possible to avoid a crash slowind me down.  I pushed it to that point, crossed safety, then I backed off, recovered and saved my energy and "forced" the group to join me.

The last climb was a bit more decisive, as expected.  There were lots of attacks, and I went with each one... our group was down to a select few now, with about 8 miles to go.  Now the games begin.  We had to work together enough to keep people from catching back up to us (letting them back into the race)... but no one wanted to do too much work, and tire their legs before the final sprint... cat and mouse.  I did a good job just 'sitting in' and letting others do most of that work.  Doesn't sound noble, but that is bike racing!!  With about 2 miles to go the pace was really getting whipped up.  Well into the 30+ mph rangen and now people are jockying for position (at times, quite physically - lots of bumping and grinding of shoulders to hold or take the position the position you want). 

With 1 mile to go, and a slight downhill, we were about 40mph, and a guy next to me started to lose control for some reason, and got his handlebar tangled with mine... not good.  I wanted to shove him off, but realized we were locked together, so I would crash myself if I did so.  Somehow, we figured it out (again at over 40 mph) and got unlocked... and that's when I made my move.   Since I am stronger than most, but not necessarily the very fastest at the peak of a sprint, I wanted to go a little early and power my way to the finish.  That is how I won the race at Westlake a couple weeks before.  I shot off and give it everything I had. 

There was no one in front of me... the finish line was getting closer and closer...  I was still in the lead... into the barricades with about 200m to go - I was still in the lead, and feeling the pressure... and feeling the burn - this freakin' hurts!!!  I kept pushing it, and then I heard the sound of wheels behind me - shit...  out of the saddle, everything I've got, 50 m to go... and two guys popped around me just at the finish to edge me out!  Dammit... 3rd place (still very happy about that).  Kudos to those two guys - they timed it just right!  I was still thrilled... two races, two podiums... in my first officially sanctioned races.  This was cool!

Two back-to-back podiums earned me enough points to move into 2nd place overall in the GC.

Day 3:  Criterion (CRIT)
Now the pressure is on... 2nd place in the GC with one day to go.  I have some experience in crits... this could be interesting!!

Eric, Zac, Mark and I lined up at the start together.  It was clear now the team was going to work together to support me, and these guys did a fantastic job doing so!  They helped chase breaks, kept me out of the wind most of the time, and communicated really well.

The pace was insanely fast from the start... usually the first couple of laps are slower as the group sorts themselves out... but this day we were 28-30mph from the get-go!  The yelllow jersey was pushing the pace and trying to shake people out of the race from the beginning.  A good strategy for him and his strengths.  It tore the field up pretty quickly.  We had to react quickly to stay on, and we did.

As the race progressed, we were able to stay in good position and because of the multiple laps, I could get a really good read on how to lead in to the finish.The course (multiple 1.5 mile loops)  has one nasty climb just before the finish line - which suits me just fine!

There was a "preem" lap (a prize for the particular lap) and we let others fight for it.  The goal now was a high finish for me to secure the overall GC.  We thought we had the whole group together and under control going into the finish.  There were the other GC contendors that we needed to keep track of, and they were with us.  What we didn't realize, was that the person that won the last "preem" lap, stayed off the front. 

They ring a bell to signify we are starting the last lap, like a boxer hearing the bell... it sent shivers and excitement down my spine... this was it!!!  The group was flying now and jockying for position going into the final mile of racing.  I was in a pretty good spot, about 10-12 from the front - right where I wanted to be before the last big turn.

I was feeling the fatigue of the 3 days of racing in my legs... would I have what it took to finish this?  The expression, "Shut Up Legs" made famous by professional cyclist Jens Voigt, was in my head big time... THIS WAS IT!!!

As we rounded the turn, I was feeling tired and excited at the same time... but I was singulary focused now...  I knew what needed to be done and how I was going to do it...  it all comes down to this!!

Coming out of the turn in perfect position, I launched my attack at the base of the climb and powered my way up, passing people left and right...  this was an all-out assault on the pack, and frankly, on my legs - they were screaming - but it was almost over...

As I topped the hill, I could see the finish line less than 400m away, and no one in front of me...  I had to keep hammering... I did NOT want to get caught at the finish like the day before and pushed and pushed and pushed my tired legs.

I crossed the finish line in front !  I couldn't believe it!  I DID IT!!!!

Then, cooling my legs down, I turned the corner and saw another cyclist ahead of me...  dammit - I forgot about the guy that broke away and stayed away at the last preem lap...  so it turns out that I was 2nd place on the day... but still excited that I won the bunch sprint, and potentially won enough points to win the GC overall.

That is 3 podiums in 3 days...  I can't believe it - and I LOVE bike racing!!!


General Classification:  Overall Winner!!
The 2nd place finish on Sunday secured me just enough points to take the overall title for the 3 day race.  I was really just thrilled to have the yellow jersey presented to me on the podium.


SnakeBite Racing Team
We had a great turn-out from the team (10+) and got a lot of press exposure.  3 of my teammates were interviewed on TV on Friday night (we saw them on the news afterwards), and my picture from the TT was the cover page of the Saturday sports page!




The days of racing brought us more together as a team, and forged some new friendships as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment