Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rev3 Cedar Point Race Report - Full Rev - new PR (10:22)

This was my 6th Ironman distance triathlon, and this one didn't disappoint!  This year I set a new PR at 10 hours 22 minutes... which bested my previous PR of 10:40... finished 12th overall and 2nd in my age group in a major iron distance race... and renewed my confidence that I can break 10 hours in the next year or two.  I was on track to do so this year, but stomach/GI problems forced me to walk the aid stations and stop in the porta-potties a couple of times.  That's all part of the experience!


 This season, I was 50/50 if I was going to be able to pull off proper training for an IM distance race, given my new job as VP Operations with a new company I had started the fall before...  then in a bit of luck in early summer, I fell bass-ackwards into a Rev3 slot and that sealed the deal.

In the spring, I had been doing a lot of my run training with Jim LaMastra as he prepared for his first full season on the Pro circuit and in the summer AJ Baucco (2 years Pro) and I spent some solid time on the bike together.  I learned quite a bit about training at the next level from these two successful athletes.  I am simply amazed and impressed at the "next level" of dedication, focus, work and sacrifice that these guys have...  Much respect!

We hosted an out of town professional, Justin Harris for the days before and after the race. Another hard working and amazing athlete, who was racing his first Ironman distance as a Pro. Justin is a great guy who is going to have a bright future in the sport. I thought his goal of going 9 hours in his first Ironman was "aggressive"... but he came in at 9:02 (finishing just out of the money).

I found this note from Amy tucked into my race bag the night before the race...  It meant a lot to me!!  : )

I have to say, my family (Amy in particular) have always been supportive of what is often a "selfish" sport... especially when it comes to ironman training... many long hours on the road on the 12 weekends before the race... (6 hours bike rides, 3 hour runs).  Without their love and support, I could never do this, and certainly not do it successfully!!  THANK YOU GUYS!!


The Race:  2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile marathon... 10:22:36 (12 overall and 2nd in AG)


Swim:   2.4 miles - 1:10 (nothing special - plan was to go super-easy)
The mass start was moved off the beach into the water a bit because of extended shallows (about 400m)... so we did a "knee deep mass start" of about 400 athletes.  My plan was to start the day easy, find some feet to folow if possible, and get my day off to a good start.  I have enough experience now to know I can drive myself mad trying to save 5 minutes in the swim only to be a head case or tired when I come out of the water and look at my watch... 

I stayed extremely calm during the first 1.2 mile loop... conserving energy and emotion...  I felt great after the first loop and decided to push the pace just a bit on the second loop.  To my luck, I found a "good pair of feet" early in the second lap and jumped on them.  I let this guy "carry" me to the end of the swim course and thanked him as I passed him running into Transition.  I meant it sincerely, but I don't think he cared for it.

Bike:  112 miles - 5:02 (2nd fastest overall split - 22.2mph - plan was to be 5:10)
This is my strength, the bike, and I know this course well.  Much of my long-distance training this summer was along the main loop of the Rev3 course... a definite advantage to know my pacing and gearing and effort and such.

I held my effort back on the first loop, as planned, in order to avoid any kind of "blow up"...  this worked well and I was able to sustain my effort the entire bike course. Had I realized how close I would be to the 5:00 mark, I might have pushed the pace a bit more to break that symboic barrier

As I came to transition, knowing I had a good bike leg, Amy and the boys where there screaming and cheering for me - which was awesome.  Then Amy blew my mind and said that I was in 7th place overall coming off the bike!  I was excited to hear that, but then felt pressure of being so high up in such a large race!!

Run:  26.2 miles - 4:02 (stomach problems slowed me down 8 miles in...)
My head was spinning when I left transition... 7th place overall?  Yikes...  sad to say, that messed with my head a little at first.  I started out on the run feeling quite good, and my first couple of miles were about 7:00/mi pace... a little too quick, but felt good... but I needed to back off and slow down a bit or else die later...

About 5 miles into the marathon, I was averaging 7:27/mi pace when I was hit with a bad feeling in my GI system...   it required me to stop at a porta-potty and try to get things out.  No dice...  so after a few wasted minutes, I started to run again... but the feeling kept hitting me and forcing me to walk from time to time.  Very frustrating - as I was on pace to be very near to the 10:00 mark.

Carry on, that's what Ironman racing is all about... mind vs body vs luck.

Coming to the half-marathon turn-around, I saw Amy and the boys and some other friends... which was a great lift to my spirits... 127.5 miles down... 13.1 to go!!

I was able to see the Pros at the head of thier race... It was cool since I knew a few of them personally and others just from following the sport. They were finishing up (8:31 won the race) as I was into my second lap... I cheered those guys on and then focused on finishing up my own race.

Unfortunatley, I had to walk each aid station to refuel what my body was begging for, but my stomach was rejecting...  UGH... that feeling just sucks...

But then again...  that's what Ironman racing is all about... mind vs body vs luck.

Coming into the last couple of miles, I kept an eye on my watch and saw I was  close to being under 10:25... a significant milestone... so I pushed myself to make sure I did that.  I actually started to run and feel well again (go figure) and had a decent last couple of miles.

Amy and the boys were right there to greet my exhausted self as I crossed the finish line, stopping the clock at 10:22:36 - an 18 minute PR for me, and good enough for 12th place overall (out of ~ 400 who did the Full Rev) and 2nd place out of 48 in my age group.

Post Race:
Well, I was exhausted, as you might imagine... all I wanted to do was sit down... and sit I did...

They had a NorTech tent (compression recovery equipment) and I happily took a turn in there.  I liked the equipment and the way it helped make me feel as the day began to sink into my mind.  I did it... at 40 years old, I got faster yet again, and beat most of the field racing... many (most?) of whom were younger than me.  I know I only have a couple years left before I start the inevitable decline... but I am enjoying every minute of it right now!!

After getting some needed post-race nutrition and family time in...  I collected my gear, said good-by to the family (who drove back earlier because it was a 'school night').  I then stayed for a few more hours cheering in teammates, friends and random strangers who were putting themselves through the mental and physical torture that is an Ironman distance triathlon... 140.6 miles... 



What a great event!


It was a pleasure to have to call off work for the next day (Monday) so that I could attend the awards banquet / ceremony to collect my "goodies" for my 2nd place AG finish, and to see the "big checks" being handed out to the Professional Men and Women.






No comments:

Post a Comment