Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Catch A Leprachaun 15K Running Race - March 6, 2011 (4th place overall, 1st place AG)

My fastest pace (6:42/mi) for a 15K yet - despite HORRIBLE conditions - 1" of ice on much of the racecourse, strong winds, cold - miserable! Plus I didn't feel well - hardly slept the night before and had a really upset stomach - nearly puked during my warm-up 5k before the race.

Pulled myself together, ran the paces I planned in the first 5 miles with someone right on my shoulder the whole time. Kept surging and couldn't drop him. I found a stretch that would have the full headwind and two sharp turns. Since the footing was bad, I figured I could make a move in the turns, and then hammer into the wind to break him. It took nearly 1/2 mile - but I shook him.

Then it came down to a 3 way sprint for 2,3,4 place - me and two guys in the 25-28 age group. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite match them in the last 400m - but we finished within 10 seconds of each other.

Overall, I was pleased to still PR on a really shitty day. Hated to lose out on the 3-way sprint - that's not like me... but this was a B- race, and I am keeping my eye on the Boston Marathon next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment