Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Beautiful Lie" - Last Spinning class of the year for me to lead

My last session of the "indoor season" was another challenging one! It was filled with full-sprint effort intervals, power grinds and thresold intervals. (Workout and playlist at the end of this)

The group was full of energy and excitement - which helped me. I've been on the verge of overtraining lately, and had a crummy day at work... so when I showed up to the studio to lead the class, I wasn't really myself. But after the first couple of sprints and the intensity everyone was bringing - I rebounded.

As the night went on, the intensity built up, and so did the enjoyment! While the group was holding Anaerobic Threshold pace, I started attacking with unplanned 10-20 second sprints. Group seemed to get into the music and the intensity... and then we went into the last 8 full-out sprints. It was carnage! I turned myself inside-out, and based on the grunts, groans and breathing of the rest of the group - I know they did too!!

I told the class that it was over... then the song "Beautiful Lie" started to play... and I informed the group we were doing one more minute of full out effort. The group responded well and sufered through the last hard minute!

After the class, we had a great time at Harry Buffalo!! Fun group!

As an aside - this was likely my last session of the season. I'm heading off to China and Japan for the next two weeks. I have truly enjoyed the classes - both as a participant and as a leader. Great way to stay insprired and focused during the "indoor season"!



THE WORKOUT AND PLAYLIST:


Warm-up:
"Trip like I do" - The Crystal Method
8 minutes easy, with two 30 second spin-ups (low tension)


First Sprint Intervals:
"Tonight - I'm F***-ing you" - Enrique Iglesias (maybe the theme for the class?)
30 second all-out sprints with 30-45 seconds rest between

"Break" - Three Days Grace
45 second all-out sprints with 45 seconds rest between

"Re-education through Labor" - Rise Against
45 second all-out sprints with 45 seconds rest between


Threshold Work:
Total of 26 minutes at or above Threshold effort with varying tension.
"In Da Club" - 50 Cent
High tension, low cadence - hold HR at AT
"Vertigo" - U2
Lower tension, High cadence - still holding HR at AT
"Only" - Nine Inch Nails
High tension, low cadence - hold HR at AT
"Paint it Black" - Rolling Stones
Lower tension, High cadence - still holding HR at AT - numerous 10-20 second sprints.
"Knights of Cydonia" - Muse
High tension, low cadence - hold HR at AT - numerous 10-20 second attacks
"Breathe" - Prodigy


Recovery:
"New Divide" - Linkin Park
Believe it or not... I put in 4.5 minutes of rest and recovery - but we worked for 26 minutes straight at or above threshold effort. We needed it! Plus - wanted to have everyone ready for the final assault!


Final Sprints:
"Got the Life" - Korn
30-45 second all-out sprints
"Ignorance" - Paramore
45 second all-out sprints
"Pain" - Jimmy Eat World
45 second all-out sprints

Recovery:
"Beautiful Lie" - 30 Seconds to Mars

--> My beautiful lie, was that the class was over! I cranked up the group for one last all out 60 second effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment