Saturday, November 14, 2009

Missing the family while in Europe…

I love Amy and my boys and routine. These trips to Europe are an amazing experience – I could not be more thankful that this is my destination, instead of some “crummy, boring town”. It is broadening my horizons in terms of culture, language (I spoke not a word of German before May of this year), how to manage a multi-site, multi-language, multi-currency, multi-national operation. And I get to stay in a “perfect” little German village, with enough time to go exploring and get to know Europe.

Having said all this, I miss my family a bunch! During this trip, Amy and I had our 14th wedding anniversary (October 7th). It was a little tough to be gone for that special day. We celebrated before I left town with a nice dinner out together without the kids (Nemo Grille)… and we’ll celebrate more when I get home this weekend. My boys are always fun to shop for… and are excited about everything I bring back – even the “neat” sugar packets! T-shirts from Germany, wooden shoes from Holland and chocolates from Switzerland. I found a beautiful gold/diamond ring for Amy in Euskirchen, Germany. I know she’ll love it, and it brings an interesting story (having come from Germany on our anniversary and all).

This was the first trip where Amy and I both had Skype accounts. We skyped about every day – which was nice. Fun way to keep the line open for a while – so I can hear the chaos that is our home… Murphy barking, kids running amuck, etc. So, I have lots of work and sightseeing that I do to stay busy… but when it gets quiet, I miss them an awful lot. I always want Amy to join me… so far, she hasn’t been up for the flight, etc. I think she’ll be convinced, and we’ll have a wonderful trip together! I offered a weekend in Paris on the last trip for our anniversary, but she was unwilling to fly and no one could watch the kids for two weeks, either. NEXT TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment