Sunday, March 8, 2009

Winter training update... important pace lessons!

Well - I keep up with my Facebook account very well - this blog, not so much!

I've been working myself hard this season. Officially into both the Ironman program (IM USA - Lake Placid, NY - July 26th), as well as the program specific to the 2009 Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon (May 3rd).

Last year, my problem was that I was too slow during my long, slow distance workouts. A slave to my Heart Rate Monitor, I thought keeping to the low end of zone 3 was best. I was doing long runs at like 9:30/mi last year (about 1:00/mi too slow for my VDOT of 48)... until Coach Lloyd realized that I was going too slow for my easy runs (in March)... by then it was too late to build the true base that I needed to live up to my potential in the marathon. I was doing my interval and threshold work at the right VDOT paces, but not my medium and long runs. I faded in the last 3 miles of the marathon last year, but still posted a 9 minute improvement over prior year! From 3:29 to 3:20. I was pleased, but learned a very important lesson about intensity for ALL workouts.

This year - different story. My early 2M time trial put me at VDOT 49-50 to start the season. I have been right on 8:30/mi pace for all of my easy / long runs. And my HR is staying in zone 3, except for occasional drift out of the zone near the end of the really long runs (especially when I get my clothing choices wrong and overheat!).

So, my running is going beautifully! (except for the little 2 week calf tweak situation, that is well behind me).

Cycling - got a serious kick in the butt this winter when I hooked up with the Second Sole / Spin Multisport team workouts. 2 hours of killer intensity and cadence work. Love the group, the workouts and the intensity I bring out of myself while doing them Beauty is that everyone is together, on their own bikes/trainers, and can work as hard as they chose to, with great leadership up front.

Same story on easy / long intensity this year vs last year... my cycling (espeically on trainer) was too low last year (like zone 2 to a little of zone 3)... this year, well into zone 3... and more drills / specific pace / cadence work too!

Swimming feels great, but due to uncertainty regarding where my next job will be located, I've not committed to a gym yet full time... so I've been hopping around, pool to pool. But my workouts and paces are going well so far... dropped LSD / easy pace by nearly 15sec/100Y... and sprints / intervals are going well!

Well - that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment