Saturday, March 21, 2009

What a long, strage trip it's been... My next career step...

On Monday, 3.30.09, I will begin a new step in my career as the "Global Purchasing and Logistics Director" with a company called "Fosbel". I will be based in Brook Park (right next to Cleveland's airport), and be responsible for operation centers in Frankfurt Germany, Kobe Japan and Shanghi China. A global industrial service company, Fosbel has active projects in about 50 coutries at any one time... from glass plants, to power plants, to coke/steel plants to petro refiners... these guys are there for "hot furnace" repairs. My team will be responsible for purchasing and distributing all of the materials and equipment around the world to these jobs.

What happeend:
Many of you know by now that I left PCC Airfoils in October, after having my only option be to relocate to Grafton, Massachusettes (not even the cool part of Mass). I started a career search just as the economic engine for the world sputtered and came to a halt. Timing is everything! But, I was financially prepared... with plenty of cash set aside for a rainy day (or year).

This is a really good reminder of how important it is to protect your liquidity by having at least 6 months of cash in reserve. If you can't build up that reserve, you are spending too quickly, and at risk of a financial disaster if things go south. Having the financial stability and peace of mind, allowed me to conduct my search with the confidence needed to get the "right" thing, and not panic for "something".

I want to give a lot of credit to Amy and my family and friends through the process. We kept our calm, didn't fight or worry much about stuff at all. A lot of factors outside of our control - so no sense in fretting over them. What was in our control was how we reacted, how I drove my search, and how we dealt with each other. We actually had a lot of fun together, and I had a rare opportunity to bond with the boys in ways I wouldn't normally get to... taking them to school every day, special little adventures, and lots of good, quality time together. Wouldn't trade that for anything!


The search process...

The search started with some interesting leads from the get-go, including an offer about a month after the search started. That offer was well below my target range, and I viewed the company with somewhat of a risky eye as well. It was too early to pounce, in my opinion. It was difficult walking away from a "bird in the hand" - but I did. That's about the time the world economy stopped. (I later found out that the plant and most of its people were later idled / laid off! Whew!)

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas - there was little action expected or happening. A few calls, an interesting lead... but not much. Except for one small company with a good opportunity. 3 interviews later, I was with the CEO... in that interview, he said "you're expensive, aren't you?" I replied "yes, but I'm very good at what I do". Well... I also was too expensive for them. Literally 30 minutes after getting the call that they can't afford me, I got a call about a great position with L'Oreal USA manufacturing. Series of interviews, but I finished 2nd place to someone more from their industry. I hate being 2nd place. But that plant required a 50 minute commute, and possible relocation after 2 years.

The same week that one died, things really picked up. Suddenly I had 5 companies going at once! Two aerospace companies... PolyOne (very close to home), Philips Healthcare and Fosbel.

I got the call about Fosbel last Wednesday - for an interview on Thursday (24 hours to prepare - FUN!). A few days later, returned for 2nd and 3rd interviews. It was a "dead heat" between me and another candidate. We both arrived at the same time for the final interview showdown... got to meet each other, size the other up and make uncomfortable small talk until time to meet with the CEO. That was interesting!

Obviously, things went well... and this Saturday morning, I went in to meet with the recuiter to find out what the offer was. I was really nervous, because the marketplace has been a wreck and most everyone was getting low-balled, but happy to take it because it was a job. I figrued I had some difficult decisions and negotiations ahead... turns out, they offerred what I was making with PCC... which was above the acceptance level I told the recruiter before. Very nicely done on their part to say "we want you, we value you, we want you to stay", instead of low-ball me and have me feel frustrated until I found something better. Good start!!

So, I guess the bottom line is that I stuck to my value system (keep the family together at home in town and not just chase $$) and had the confidence in myself that I would find the right position, and shouldn't have to take a cut in pay to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment