Thursday, October 17, 2013

Try something fun and new this off-season!

Most of us have now wrapped up our racing  season for the year.  The next weeks or even months of transition after the end of the season are an important time to recharge both body and mind.

This break in the action is not only necessary to rest your body and mind to get ready for the following year, but also A lower-risk chance to do something new!    Cyclocross, hiking, kayaking, trail running, cross-country or downhill skiing, etc...

For me, in the heart of the preparation racing season, I'm careful to not take too many chances
on new sports or activities and risk some kind of injury setback.

However, the post season transition time is about the best opportunity to try these new things.

This fall, after very strong finish to my season, my Coach, AJ Baucco, had me take a full shutdown week and then a week of doing anything non- triathlon specific training.

Last winter (2012), after a late season for Ironman triathlon, I had a lot of difficulty restarting my training after taking too much time off...  And riding the success of the last month, I was very nervous about taking off any time just then.

I followed my coach's advice exactly. I took one full week off of training, and actually found it was a much wanted and needed break after all!  Normally, I'm always thinking about my next workout or activity or race. During this off week, I focused completely on family, projects around the house, and work.

The following week, my plan was to try new things, in this case specifically off Road trail running and racing.

What an incredibly fun and invigorating change of pace!!!

Instead of my usual running routes at lunchtime, I decided to start running on the mountain bike trails near work. And I loved it!  Just after my first Trailride at work, I mentioned that to a colleague, who introduced me to the local weeknight trail race series that started the following night.

I decided I would jump in headfirst and go try the race and see what that was like.

It took place in one of the beautiful parts of the National Park area, and provided me with a whole new set of challenges and excitement!
The rest of the transition week, I only did Trailrun and with a new trail each day, and couldn't wait to get out there each time!

I was hooked!

It was scratching an itch that I didn't even know that I had until I discovered it!  New challenges, new venues, new unknowns in terms of performance...

My original plan had been to try cyclocross bike racing.  Unfortunately, by the time I triathlon season ended, most of the local races were already finished for the year.  While I am still going to try my hand at cyclocross before the end of the year, and make an effort to get out on the VeloDrôme, the local new cycling track.v

Bottom line, is that this recent period of some complete rest, and then a transition back to training next with new sports and activities has completely recharge my mental and physical batteries!

Now that I'm returning to more traditional swim bike run training, I find myself so excited about the trail running race series this month, and I'm also having more fun than my regular training as well.

Best regards,
Ken Hagan
VP Operations
Nook Industries

No comments:

Post a Comment