Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shifting Gears - Preparing for the 2011 Triathlon Season -

My 2011 spring running season is now behind me. 3 races, 3 PRs! 5K (18:36), 15K (1:00:58) and Boston Marathon (3:08:33). I'm quite pleased! Now, on to my real strength and passion - triathlon!! Last season, I won my age group in all but 1 races I did, won the HFP Series, did a 10:40 Ironman at Rev3 and made USAT Honorable Mention for the first time. It was a good season, but I want more out of this season!

This year, I am focusing on the Olympic Distance... and I will compete as an "Elite" in the USAT Olypmic distance races this season - as well as race in my first USAT National Championships. I need to focus on getting faster, in the shorter Olympic Distance Triathlon (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run).

This season will be a different focus and training situation for me. 5 of the last 6 years, I've had an Ironman as my "A" race and focus. Lots of long endurance rides and runs. This season, my Coach, Gregg Brekke (www.gbcoaching.com) and I are working to a different program. Speed, speed, speed and speed... I can feel the difference in intensity already!

The combination of a difficult northeast Ohio winter/spring, and my focus on Boston means that I've spent very little time outside on the bike. I have to change that - like NOW! Dodging rainstorms, I've been able to ride outside finally - and I'm happy with my output so far. The winter spinning and focused marathon run training have laid a good foundation for my cycling, which is usually pretty strong relative to the field. But I want to get faster, stronger and... well... faster!

We had a really great winter spinning group at our sponsor Ride + Workout in Lakewood. We (Gregg, Mike, Angie, Eric and I) took turns leading some seriously tough spinning classes. I'm still using some of those workouts on my own when I'm stuck on the trainer now.

My swimming is the biggest area for improvement. I made some good advances during the fall and early winter, when I was focusing on it. Then I had to travel a lot to Asia (easy to run, difficult to swim) and then came the home stretch to get ready for Boston. I need to get my swimming back on track - RIGHT NOW! I need to get back to that frequency and focus. I'm ramping up my yardage again, and I can feel it in my shoulders, chest and lats. Gotta work on the speed, and then the endurance.

So, the weather is finally coming around - and in 6 short weeks, my first Olympic Distance Triathlon... YIKES!

- Better get moving!!

PS:
I really don't write these posts about my day-to-day training for other people to read, so much as to help myself. I benefit from the process of thinking through what is going on, writing out what is honestly going on, and making some public statements to challenge myself. I doubt these get read by anyone who cares... but for me to sit down, organize my thoughts and put some pressure on myself - that helps me a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment