Thursday, November 18, 2010

Around the world (a few times) in the last 12 months








Germany, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Wales, England, India, China, Japan, Korea, Brazil... all in the past 12 months! Twice this year, I literally circled the globe in the same two week trips - USA to Europe to Asia to USA again (which is a continuous circle heading east...).

My job as the Global Director of Logistics and Purchasing, has given me the opportunity to see the world! I have teams that work for me in Germany, China and the USA... and we support work all over the world.

I work my butt off on these trips. Seriously - I do. Long days at the office (or supplier visits) usually followed by evening group dinners that last 2-4 hours... then I have to find time to call (video skype) the family back home... and get some sleep!

But I also make opportunities to see and experience the different sights, sounds, tastes and cultures around me while I travel. Sometimes, I have to stay weekends overseas - I make sure I don't waste a minute... figure out where to go and see the local sights. In Europe I have my own car - so I can really get out and around the region. I have no problem driving 8 hours on a Friday evening to get someplace different for the weekend. It's a long day, but it's worth it when I get to experience something new!

I usually combine training (almost always running) while I travel, as a way to keep me sane, in shape, and counteract all of the incredible food and drink I get to experience along the way. I try to carry a camera when I run to capture some of the sprit of what I'm experiencing along the way. This has given me some great photo opportunities.

I ALWAYS make sure I go for the "local" food options. I really enjoy the local foods where I go. Whether it is eating a Century Egg in China, the hottest curry in India, carne in Brazil, pigeon hot pot in Korea, and countless other "weird foods"... I sometimes travel with people who prefer what they know (McDonald's, Outback Steakhouse, etc). I would rather go it alone and find myself in a completely unknown restaurant - fumbling through an order, then to go to one of those places. I had to FIGHT for my one night in Korea to not be taken to Burger King by the locals, who I think were just trying to help me out. I held out, and had a magical dinner at a little local family restaurant.

My "sight running" has taken me to some beautiful and amazing places:
1) The Pacific coast of South Korea - amazing beaches and cliffs
2) Along the river in Bilbao, Spain past the Guggenheim and Casco Viejo
3) Morning in Shanghai, China with people doing their Tai Chi in the park
4) Running in the Alps on Pfänder Mountain - which overlooks Germany, Austria, Switzerland
5) Run on the Great Wall of China (Huang Yu Gang where the host the Great Wall Marathon)
6) Enjoying the tropical springtime of Sao Paolo
7) Run in two marathon races in Europe - including the Dreilanderick Marathon (3 Countries Marathon) - Germany, Austria, Switzerland
8) Made friends with a running club in Mumbai, India and joined them for a 25k run. (and subsequently got deathly sick from "local" water handed to me during the run)
8) Represented my racing team "SnakeBite Racing" - in 10 countries on 4 continents!
9) Experience the German "Christmas Market" (Weihnachtsmarkt am Koln Dom) at the amazing Dom cathedral in Cologne, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment