Tuesday, October 19, 2010

2010 Racing Season in Review and Results

  • What a great season 2010 was for me! 2010 marked my first year on the Snake Bike Racing team, my first Boston Marathon, my fifth Ironman Triathlon in 10 hours 40 minutes, and won the HFP Olympic Triathlon Series. It was a GREAT season any my first season coached by Gregg Brekke (www.gbcoaching.com).

A few things I did differently this season compared to the past:
  • Full-time coaching from Gregg Brekke (www.gbcoaching.com).
  • I took myself out of my "comfort zone" and to the next intensity levels
  • Trained "like a roadie, with roadies" to take my cycling to my next level in the spring.
  • More training with groups and track workouts with stronger runners
  • Increased confidence to push the on bike and still run strong when racing
  • Focus/dedication/consistency - about 15% higher training volume versus last year
  • Skipped some mid-season "fun" races, to keep the focus on my Ironman Distance "A" race
  • I stuck with the Jack Daniels VDOT running program for the Boston Marathon for a third season... just with a higher VDOT value (53). Learn more about VDOT running programs in one of my 2009 posts... and use http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm for a VDOT pace calculator.

RESULTS:
Catch a Leprachaun 15k
- 3rd overall, 1st Age Group, Personal Record (PR)

Spring Classic 5k - 2rd overall, 1st Age Group, Personal Record

Boston Marathon - 3:14:30 - first Boston, held back too much. 2011 = ATTACK!

HFP Deer Creek Olympic Triathlon: 2nd Age Group, Course Record (self)

HFP Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon: 1st Age Group, PR 2:10:00

HFP Vermilion Olympic Triathlon: 1st Age Group, Course Record (self)

Rev 3 Full Ironman Triathlon: 7th Age Group, 38th overall, PR 10:40:38!

HFP Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Series Championship: 1st Age Group, Course Record (self), Won the series for the season.

3 Countries Marathon - Europe: Loved running from Germany to Austria to Switzerland! Because I raced Rev3 and Portage Lakes within 21 days of this race, I ran it for fun. Took a camera during the race!


2011 Season Goals:
  • Race Elite Open - Olympic Distance
  • PR at Boston Marathon... 3:0X time (current PR = 3:13)
  • Olympic Distance Triathlon PR... sub 2:0X time. (current PR = 2:10)
  • Try at least one road race, and stand alone Time Trial to see how I stack up amongst "pure" cyclists

What I intend to focus on this winter for 2011:
  • Stay with Coach Gregg Brekke (www.gbcoaching.com)
  • Focus on high intensity, speed, speed, speed... Zone 5 work!
  • Work on my swim. (I'm usually top 5 on the bike, top 10-15 in the run... but 50th out of the water.).
  • I joined a group of stronger swimmers for weekly sessions during the fall/winter,
  • Had my stroke videoed above and below water and analyzed by a Total Immersion Coach

1 comment:

  1. Good to see that you are willing to make the sacrifices to get fast. Not many triathletes can. Let yourself become a single sport athlete that is strong in all disciplines and everything will fall into place. Swim Masters, ride with the Spin and BA guys, and run with runners. Train with other triathletes when you need to recover ;)

    ReplyDelete