Monday, September 13, 2010

I hate Tapering for big races! (but like the results)

I guess it is because I am “Type A” and driven by my mind and will to train hard and heavy to prepare for important races. I love the training and the build up before a race, sometimes more than the race itself! It’s the taper once or twice a year for a big “A” race that I hate – with a passion!

For one thing – it is my mind that pushes, drives and organizes my training. When I taper – that whole section of my brain seems to shut off, and I forget to bring workout clothes to work or the gym… or find reasons not to train, etc. I end up tapering too low (like 40% of pre-taper volume instead of 60-70% step downs) and I feel FLAT! (Think of Eric Gibb’s blog about that – I totally agree!). Plus with the lack of training I’m used to, I can’t fall asleep well at night – so I short my self on sleep – and I feel even worse!

Not only that, but also I have found in a number of these tapers, that my heart rate starts doing weird things when I do work out. Usually it is up 10-15bpm versus normal for a given pace/intensity. I know my HR zones very well… and it always freaks me out! This week, 3 days before the big Rev 3 Full Ironman race… my coach sent me to have multiple blood pressure readings and nearly sent me to the ER to check my heart (he was worried about a blockage or some other defect that was causing the big HR elevation. I was + 25 on the systolic… but right on for the diastolic Friday. By Saturday – both were back to normal… so we think I was just keyed up and out of routine.

I love training! I love how it makes me feel during… after… and planning the next workouts. I HATE NOT DOING THAT – like it is part of my daily routine and psyche. Plus – my body is “addicted” to working out – so you take away the drug (both the activity and the euphoric hormones released after (AKA the runner’s high) and I’m like a junkie looking for a hit!

But on the plus side, I get a lot more time to focus on the family and make up for time I’ve spent off doing 6-7 hour bike rides (Saturdays) and 3-4 hours runs (Sundays) plus the recovery/ice baths / showers/etc afterwards.

My family has been the best this season! They supported me along the way with just enough complaining to let me know they miss and love me – but not so much to make it an issue. I must thank them for that since my volume is up 20%+ this year.

LOVE YOU AMY, ANDY, TOMMY!!! You are the best part of my taper (and life in general!!)!

1 comment:

  1. I gotta laugh at how closely your coach monitors you. FYI - exercise can lower BP 10mmHg for about 24 hours post workout, so since you were tapering you weren't exercising as much and I would never say you are dehydrated during training, but you probably held more fluid in your intravascular compartment (aka arteries), and finally you were probably stoked about the BIG race. As long as the diastolic (bottom number) stays the same hopefully 80 or less and not above 90! Hope this helps you feel better about the spike in systolic (top number) BP.

    ReplyDelete