Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Heading to Boston for a little personal history…


I’ve run about 10 other marathons before… with and without the 2.4 miles of swimming a 112 miles of biking before it. This one is different… it is BOSTON!

Many athletes I know and respect have been chewed up and spit out by this course. Caught up in the hype of race weekend in Boston, motivated by the 500,000 spectators that line the course to create a screaming tunnel of excitement from Hopkinton to Boylston Street, and swept up in the mass start of some of the fastest runners in the world – with the first 6 miles on deceptively difficult downhill sections. Sure a net downhill course sounds good – until you realize your quads have been ripped apart by all the downhill hammering… and then miles 16-20 introduce the Newton hills – 4 nice climbs on tired legs that are sure to test the best. Kaboom!! Many a competent marathoner have been reduced to a death march for miles 21-26.2.

Can’t wait! This is my first Boston Marathon… This is the 114th year for it –the longest “running” marathon in the world. My training leading up to this race has been better than years past.

The main objective for this, my first Boston, is to fully soak in and enjoy the experience. I have goals for the race, of course, but my primary objective is to try to do what others have failed to do, and race SMART, and enjoy the experience starting gun to finish line. My marathon PR is 3:13 (2009). Would be nice to PR at Boston, and on any other course I should be well below 3:10 this year (based on my 2 races this spring and training results)… but this is Boston… so I don’t hold myself to that goal Monday.

I am very fortunate that my wife of 14 years, Amy, is overcoming her fear of flying and her Motherly instincts to not leave the kids at Grandma’s for 5 days to join me for a fun birthday/marathon 5-day weekend in Boston! Also fortunate to know that about 30 people from the Cleveland-area running and triathlon scene will be in Boston for the race. There is a dinner planned Sunday night for the group at a great place in Little Italy for our pre-race Carbo dinner… it’s gonna be FUN! Most of the time will be just Amy and I seeing the city. We are staying at the Lenox in the Back Bay area. Very cool and small upscale hotel right by the finish line. We’ve only spent one night in Boston before – the first night of our Honeymoon. We didn’t see much of the city then, and drove to Cape Cod the next morning.


Training Volume:
I am following the tweaked Jack Daniels’ VDOT running formula plan for a third marathon. This year, my 8 week average has been 50 miles per week (with two weeks at 64+ miles) versus 42 miles per week in 2009 for my 3:13 Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. This has been a real challenge due to another hearty Cleveland winter and persistent cold weather. I had very few training days over 40F – one of my biggest fears has been that race day in Boston will be hot and I’ll melt – but at this point the forecast is for 50F at race time – this is good! : )

I was also able to accomplish a high training volume while traveling around the world on 3 separate trips in the past 4 months. In December, when I started my program, I ran in Germany, Spain, Germany (again), China and Korea… In January – I was in China for another 12 days – including running 2 miles on the Great Wall of China! (same section where the Great Wall Marathon is run). In March, I ran over 50 miles in Germany, 20 in China and 10 in Japan – and saw some incredible sights along the way! I’m a very lucky guy!

Oh – and this season I was completely injury-free and stayed just the safe side of over-training (thanks Coach Gregg!!).

Speed:
I have raced twice this spring to test myself and get the “race day” practice before Boston. I took 3rd place overall and ran a personal best 6:43/mi pace in the 15K Catch A Leprechaun Race in March. 8 days before Boston, I ran the Spring Classic 5K and took 2nd overall, setting a personal best 18:53 (6:04/mi pace) in a race where I chose to hold back the last mile to avoid any injury or excess fatigue going into Boston. These are great signs that not only is the endurance in place from the additional volume, but the top-end speed has improved as well. This bodes well not only for the marathon, but for the Olympic Distance triathlons I have on the June schedule.

My track workouts this year have been more consistent and faster than prior years. I trained at VDOT 52 for the marathon this year, VDOT 51 last year. My 5K race last weekend now puts me at VDOT 53. (for more info on VDOT – check my blog post from 2009 about VDOT and Heart Rate based training).


READY!
SO - I’m tapered and ready… getting antsy to race and frustrated to gain a pound from the lower activity – but this is normal, and what a taper is about. I’m on the flight now, with Amy next to me, who has finally calmed down and is giggling loudly at The Hangover to take her mind off of things. God bless her, she’s doing great – and facing her biggest fear head on! : )

We are going to have a great time together… and absorb the amazing atmosphere and true world-class event that is – THE Boston Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment