Wednesday, January 13, 2010

2010 off to a great start!

A quick note as the new year rolls on now. It is January 13th (one day since the major earthquake in Haiti). What a horrible situation there.

My preparation for the upcoming racing season is going very well. Snake Bite Racing signed me to their 2010 sponsored racing team, and I've started with a new coach for 2010 - Gregg Brekke. He is already challenging me both physically, and in terms of nutrition (i'm on a much more strict diet for the next few months). I run the Boston Marathon on April 19th - that's just a bit over 3 months from now! The challenge has been the snow. There has been some amount of new snow almost every day since Christmas. Sometimes this makes running a little more challenging! But it builds toughness (physically and mentally).

At work, the first two weeks of the year have been hectic with the Global year-end closing. Interesting experience for me (my first). Best part is that my areas of responsibility (US and Europe distribution centers) were dead on for our year-end physical inventory. $25 on about $3,000,000 in the US and 310Euro on about 2,000,000EUR in Europe. This is extrordinarly good performance anywhere... and last year before I arrived, they had write-offs of about $300,000! Needless to say, the executive team is quite happy with the progress I've been able to accomplish with my teams, in addition to the huge savings we've generated on the Purchasing side.

Amy is still active with Love A Stray - even though the "farm" where the outdoor shelter has been is likely closing since the owner passed away. There is still much work to be done to help these animals, and she puts her heart into it. I'm proud of watching her in action - quite impressed with her knowledge, creativity and resourcefulness. Andy continues to do well in school and has really stepped up this year (with Amy's excellent guidance). He has to be the most liked kid at the school, walk the halls with him, you'd think he's a rock star! Everyone just tells us how "nice" and "friendly" he is. Must be the parents! :) Tommy is doing great too, and is still super-obsessed with "army men" and "transformers". He is a fun, amazing and intense child! Makes it tough to leave them to travel, of course, but I'm so lucky to get to see the world!

I'm preparing to return to China as early as next week. Might take a side trip either to Japan or to Malaysia. In March - back to Germany for a week. April, after the Boston Marathon, I may finally schedule my trip to India. I keep pushing India back, I'm not in a hurry to get sick or depressed (everyone has to deal with that the first time there, I'm told).

No comments:

Post a Comment