Thursday, December 24, 2009

World Tour - stop 1: Germany



Lost Luggage and Weihnachts Markt (Frankfurt, Koln, Euskirchen, Swisttal)

The trip started on an ominous note when my suitcase did not arrive in Frankfurt, and (more concerning) they had no record of the bag! Not the best way to start a 2 week long trip around the world! I left my information and headed to the train station to take the high speed rail (German ICE). As always, a nice train ride… got some work done while enjoying espresso and watching the Germany countryside fly by at 300km/h (186mph). My driver (Frau Riesner) was waiting for me at the station to take me to the office and pick up my car. I arrived at the office at 9:30am Monday morning and worked straight through until 5pm. I uncovered and worked out some significant problems there with inventory control that "they would have not figured out without me". :) I'm just glad we got it sorted out before it was reported to the CEO, or else I think he would have told me just to move out there for good!

Left for the Hotel Weidenbruck (my home away from home in Germany). They had my favorite dinner waiting for me – the Ratsherrenteller plate (pork tenderloin, spaetzel and mushrooms in a delicious bĂ©arnaise sauce, of course, washed down with a few glasses of the local Kolsch beer. To my surprise, just as I was about to head upstairs for bed, a coworker from the US and one from France arrived from India, and we had a nightcap together and exchanged stories. Much to my relief, my suitcase arrived to the hotel around 9:30pm.

Weihnachs Markt (Christmas Market) – Koln (Cologne), Germany

What a truly Germany Christmas experience this was! After a long day at the office, I drove to Koln, which I had last visited in May. The DOM cathedral is one of the world famous for its beauty and history. The Weihnachts Markt occurs at the base of the cathedral and spills into the square and streets surrounding it. Huge Christmas tree, lights everywhere and packed with happy people to shop and eat and see the sights. Nice night, too – cold and dry. I wandered the market for a couple of hours. Found some good bratwurst and potato pancakes… washed down with a mug of gluwein (warm, spiced wine) mmmmm… I found some nice wooden carvings and Christmas ornaments to bring back for the family. Such a warm, cheery, authentic feeling Christmas celebration there... you could not ask for a more picturesque scene!

This was a special night!

Turns out, the artist who had the big display there (Kathe Wohlfahrt), apparently also made some of Amy's Grandma's things in her house (music box, other things) that Amy instantly remembered when I gave her the ornament I brought home, and some other carvings. Amy's Grandma passed one year ago, at 93, and was born and lived in Germany before coming to the USA.


On Wednesday, I worked half a day at the office, then my driver picked me up to return to the high-speed rail station, to head back to Frankfurt, and fly to Spain - for stop #2 on the world tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment